Jan 3, 2008

Dillard's writing quotation about priorities


Thanks for clicking in! Please come over to my new and improved website for writers:

Quips & Tips for Freelance Writers.

You won’t be disappointed!


Writing quotation: About writing habits, Annie Dillard said "I don't do housework. Life is too short and I'm too much of a Puritan. If you want to take a year off to write a book, you have to take that year, or the year will take you by the hair and pull you toward the grave."



This is writing passion in action. But wait, it gets better:



"Let the grass die. I let almost all of my indoor plants die from neglect while I was writing the book. There are all kinds of ways to live. You can take your choice. You can keep a tidy house, and when St. Peter asks you what you did with your life, you can say, I kept a tidy house, I made my own cheese balls."



Writing tip: Break free from the chains of housework, the tv, or food. Focus on your passion.


This great writing quotation is from Shoptalk: Learning to Write With Writers by Donald Murray. It's busting with writing inspirations from hundreds of published writers.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I absolutely love the idea of following your passion rather than cleaning house. After all - who wants to be remembered for tidy cupboards and making "cheese balls"???

    ReplyDelete