Jan 30, 2008

a brilliant writing quotation from a rabbi


Have you ever looked at your writing and cringed because it’s not the way Oscar Wilde or Anne Lamott or Adria Vasil would’ve written it?

I have. I sent an eco-friendly living book proposal to a publisher or two, and I’m not really happy with it. It’s okay, but I could’ve done better – maybe the way Adria Vasil did Ecoholic or Anne Lamott did Traveling Mercies.

But, I must tease out the difference between not giving my work my absolute best effort, and not being happy with the way I write. There’s a big difference – and I may have erred on the side of not giving it my best.

Ouch. Anyway, here’s a great writing quotation about finding your writing style.

Writing quotation: “In the world to come I shall not be asked “Why were you not Moses?” I shall be asked “Why were you not Zusya?” said Rabbi Zusya. (Okay, the rabbi was actually talking about life and being himself – but this quotation works in any capacity of authentic living!).

Writing tip: Not only must we give it our absolute best, we must remain true to our own personalities, thoughts, and dreams when we write. This means writing it all down with freedom and wild abandon, and editing out the fluff later. Our writing styles emerge naturally when we ignore the critical voice and just write the best we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment